A true deep clean is the best way to get your floors looking brand new—just in time to greet the season. Here are 5 tips for deep cleaning a hardwood floor and combating grime.
The Benefits of Deep Cleaning Hardwood FlooringYour floors are exposed to all of the traffic in your house. No matter how careful you are, you bring in some of the outdoors year-round. During the colder winter months, salt, dirt or snow commonly accumulate indoors. As it warms up, April showers may bring May flowers, but they also often bring mud, grass, or dirt residue tracked across your floors—even if you can’t see it.
When left alone, dirt, dust, and grime can build up over time and ultimately scratch or dull the surface of your hardwood floors or surfaces. Deep cleaning restores the wood’s natural shine and luster and can help extend its lifespan. Deep cleaning is also beneficial for removing allergens, such as pet dander, dust mites, and pollen, that can cause health problems if left unchecked.
1. Vacuum and Sweep Regularly to Fight BuildupDeep cleaning at the start of the season is important, but regular maintenance throughout the rest of the year makes the task worlds easier when spring comes.
Regular vacuuming and sweeping are essential to keeping your hardwood floors free from overwhelming buildup and looking their best. Vacuuming and sweeping will help remove dirt and dust before it has a chance to set into the wood and cause damage. Schedule regular vacuuming and sweeping sessions at least once a week for the best results. For more tips on organizing your home cleaning tasks and building a manageable schedule, check out this blog post.
2. Use a Floor Cleaner Designed for HardwoodNot only is it important to use a floor cleaner (rather than just vacuuming and sweeping) for a deeper clean, but it’s also important to use a cleaner that’s made for hardwood flooring.
Many cleaners on the market include harsh chemicals that can damage your floors or pose a health threat. Choose a high-quality cleaner, along with a mop that’s best for hardwood floors, and follow the instructions carefully. WOCA’s cleaning and finishing products are specially formulated for safe application to hardwood flooring, wooden furniture, and your additional cleaning needs.
3. Protect Wood and Restore Shine With an Oil Refreshing SoapFor a deeper clean on a quarterly basis, use a wood floor oil refreshing soap that not only cleans but allows additional oil to penetrate the wood and reinforce the existing oil finish. to help protect and shine your hardwood floors. Paired with a regular cleaner such as WOCA Natural Soap, this dynamite combination will restore the floor’s natural luster, giving even high-traffic areas a rich, soft glow.
4. Check for Stubborn Spots and StainsStubborn spots and stains can be unsightly and downright annoying. When pesky dark spots show up, whether they’re from spills or tannins, make sure you have the tools you need to treat them.
To dissolve grease, blood, coffee, tea, or other pesky spills, use a reliable spot remover such as WOCA’S Stain Spot Remover. Before use, be sure to spot test the product on a small area of your wooden surface.
Simply apply the stain, wait 10-20 minutes, then scrub with a soft bristle brush. If necessary, repeat this process. After this is completed, wipe the spot with a damp cloth.
For dark spots due to tannic acid being exposed to metal or moisture, use a Tannin Spot Neutralizer. After applying the neutralizer directly to the stain, wait 30 minutes, then wipe with a damp cloth.
After removing wood spots, always be sure to finish with a wood oil to protect the surface from future spots or damage.
5. Make Spring Cleaning a Breeze With WOCA ProductsAfter you’ve vacuumed, swept dust away, deep cleaned and spot corrected, let the floor or surface air dry completely.
Use a protective oil finish to prevent future marks and damage. Wood finishers help seal and protect your wooden flooring by ensuring the finish is as durable as possible. This helps preserve the shine of a newly treated floor by repelling dirt and dust that might otherwise get ground in or dull a floor’s shine. Then, let the surface cure completely before moving furniture or rugs back on top.
Now, it’s time for a deep clean! Luckily, the proper array of cleaning and finishing products can make your deep cleaning job much more manageable (and enjoyable), so open up the windows, turn up the music, and grab your WOCA products specifically designed for hardwood floors.
Want to save time and have your natural hardwood cleaning products delivered straight to your door? Learn more about our natural cleaning products subscription.