Driftwood Lye Application
- Use suitable safety gloves and glasses during application.
- The surface needs light sanding and must be clean and dry. We recommend a full sanding using 100-120 grit sandpaper. Please note that the sanding, as best as possible, must take place immediately before the application of the lye.
- Shake container well. Pour the lye into a plastic paint tray. Make sure there are no pigments left in the container. During the application process, stir the lye periodically.
- Apply the lye undiluted in an even coat using the WOCA Applicator Pad. Apply along the grain of the wood, using at least 1 liter per 107 square foot. When working on vertical surfaces, work from top to bottom.
- Usually, the wood will be dry after 24 hours at 68°F. After complete drying, use a polishing machine with either a green or red pad for de-nibbing. Remove the sanding dust with a vacuum cleaner.
- Complete the treatment by applying one of the WOCA oils.