Antique Lye Application
How to Apply WOCA Antique Lye
- Wear suitable acid proof protective clothing, gloves and eye goggles for protection.
- The wood must be clean, dry and free from dirt and grease. We recommend application as soon as possible after sanding.
- Pour Antique Lye into a plastic paint tray. It does not need stirring.
- Apply Antique Lye with the WOCA Applicator in an even coat on the floor, following the wood grain.
- Apply at least one liter of lye to each 100 sq.ft. of wood flooring or woodwork.
- Let the floor or woodwork dry at least 2-4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Wash floor with WOCA Wood Cleaner(see separate instructions). This will neutralize tannins and prevent water spotting.
- Let the floor dry completely, 8-12 hours, preferably overnight.
- When wood is dry, de-nib the floor and its standing fibers using a standard buffer with thick green or red buffing pads until the floor is smooth. De-nib floor first before polishing the edges.
- Vacuum the floor or wood surface when completed.
- Finish the floor or woodwork with oil.