“Soap” is an age-old Scandinavian wood finishing tradition for furniture. A soap finish makes a soft to the touch, light finish, and is best suited for light-toned Softwood species which are more porous, like Pine and Douglas Fir and hardwood species like Oak.
A Soap finish is a very natural and environmentally friendly option for finishing furniture. If you have a furniture project and want to treat it with soap, it is light, soft, beautiful, and renewable.
After the initial Soap application, the woodwork or furniture requires weekly soaping of WOCA Natural Soap to “build” the soap finish into the wood. It takes about 3 months of this weekly maintenance to achieve an adequate soap finish. The wood surface should then be soaped as needed or every other week at least. During the 3-month window of building the finish, the wood surface is vulnerable to spills and stains.
The Scandinavian Furniture Soap Finish Kit includes:
1 Intensive Wood Cleaner Spray. Apply to prep the wood surface and open the grain.
1 liter of Oil Refreshing Soap in White. Apply undiluted as the wood finish
1 Natural Soap Spray in White. Apply weekly to continue to build the finish.
Scandinavian Furniture Soap Finish Kit coverage is approx. 100 square feet.
Oil Refreshing Soap is typically used as a wood floor rejuvenator. Please review product instructions as they are different when using Oil Refreshing Soap as a wood finish.
To create a lighter look, treat the wood with WOCA Wood Lye in White prior to applying the WOCA Oil Refreshing Soap.
We DO NOT recommend a soap finish for flooring!
Ignore the instructions on the product label. Oil Refreshing Soap is primarily used for cleaning, but can also be used as a wood finish.
1. Before the application of soap, make sure that the surface is freshly sanded with fine grit paper (180-220). Clean the wood surface with WOCA Intensive Wood Cleaner. Let dry at least 2 hours.
2. WOCA Oil Refreshing Soap as a finish is ready to use. Do not mix it with water. Shake well before use.
3. Pour Oil Refreshing Soap into a bucket. Apply Oil Refreshing Soap in an even, uniform amount using a sponge or a short haired paint roller. Then, immediately start polishing it wet with white 3M polishing pad until the surface appears saturated.
4. If necessary, repeat application to ensure full saturation.
Immediately after polishing, remove any excess soap with cotton cloths. Keep polishing until the surface feels soft & smooth.
5. Leave the surface to dry for approx. 24 hours. After 24 hours, clean the surface with WOCA Natural Soap Spray in White.
6. After drying the surface is ready to use.
Regular weekly cleaning is done with WOCA Natural Soap Spray in White
To minimize the natural yellowing that can occur with Pine and Oak and create a “whitewash” look, treat the wood with WOCA Wood Lye in White prior to applying the WOCA Oil Refreshing Soap.
Coverage: 100 sf per 1 liter container
|Drying time||2 hours at 68°F|
|Application tools||Polishing Pad|
|Disposal||Dispose of contents/container to an approved waste disposal plant.|
|Shelf life||3 years|
|Storage||+59-86°F. Keep out of reach of children. Do not expose to heat (e.g. sunlight). Store frost-free during winter and cool during summer (max. +77°F).|