WOCA Antique Lye Details
WOCA Antique Lye has been especially developed to produce an ammonia smoked appearance to oak wood. This product is user-friendly but corrosive and should be handled with caution during application. Since the product reacts with the tannic acid in the oak, the color after application may vary depending on the concentration of tannin in the wood. However, it creates a very unique color and Vintage appearance. The final color will first be achieved after 1-2 months.
How To Apply
Wear suitable acid proof protective clothing, gloves and eye goggles for protection.
- Wear suitable acid proof protective clothing, gloves and eye goggles for protection.
- The wood must be clean, dry and free from dirt and grease. We recommend application as soon as possible after sanding.
- Pour Antique Lye into a plastic paint tray. It does not need stirring.
- Apply Antique Lye with a nylon brush or synthetic applicator in an even coat on the floor, following the wood grain.
- Apply at least one liter of lye to each 100 sq.ft. of wood flooring or woodwork.
- Let the floor or woodwork dry at least 2 hours.
- Wash floor with WOCA Wood Cleaner (see separate instructions). This will neutralize tannins and prevent water spotting. Let floor dry completely, preferably overnight!
- When wood is dry, de-nib the floor and its standing fibers using a standard buffer with thick green buffing pads until floor is smooth. De-nib floor first before polishing the edges. Vacuum the floor or wood surface when completed.
- Finish the floor or woodwork with oil.
Antique Lye will lighten after application. Both products are water based and can be diluted with water prior to application to obtain a more muted effect. Sapwood contains no tannin and will not be affected by lye treatment.
||Sodium hydroxide, water, white pigments.
||8-10 m2/l./ 86-129 sq ft/34 fl oz
||Acid-proof brush, plastic bucket and stick for stirring.
|Cleaning of tools:
||Clean tools with water and soap.
||2.5 liter / 84.5 fl oz